Dolphy's Death: The Death and the Celebrated Life of Philippines' Comedy King

Rodolfo Vera Quizon, Sr. a.k.a Dolphy - "The King of Comedy" died this July 10, 2012 at the age of 83. I will not go into further details explaining his life, career, and milestones, the media already got that covered. I'll just simply talk about Dolphy's influence on me and probably to most of us who new him as a good entertainer and public figure.

Rodolfo Vera Quizon, Sr aka Dolphy Death of a Philippine Entertainment Icon


Well, other folks born before me might remember him in John en Marsha or from his other works he starred in, but being a 90's kid I was more familiar with Dolphy as Kevin Kosme from ABS-CBN's Home Along Da Riles. He became this cool, loving, traditional, funny and iconic second father figure with this long running television sitcom. I was oblivious to his career before Home Along or John en Marsha back then, but would later be greatly impressed when I made a researched and compiled the the list of the comedy films in the Philippines, because films featuring Dolphy was already more than a handful and was alone enough to fill that database.

The last film that featured the Philippine Comedy King was with the 2010 Metro Manila Film Festival Entry "Rosario" in a much more serious tone. I have high respect for commedians as comedy is a more complicated form of art/entertainment than let's say drama. Dolphy is one of those celebrities who can make us both laugh and cry everytime the circumstances calls for it. I blame it on the ever changing times that it somehow desensitize me with the last few television shows he starred in, but that doesn't take anything away from what Dolphy has accomplished as an entertainer, an actor.

Don't get me wrong, but I was not really surprised to see the news that Dolphy was in a bad shape when he was admitted to Makati Medical Center back in June 16, 2012. Death has always been a part of life, and Dolphy was already at the end of his life. I remember TV5's Trade Launch back in 2010 where he was on stage with Vic Sotto and Joey de Leon and by then I knew that he was already struggling with some health complications as we observe Dolphy seems to tire so fast and seems out of breath. Fortunately he was still capable after that and managed to still make two films on that same year, Father Jejemon and Rosario in 2010. The last television show that Pidol starred in was with TV5's Pidol's Wonderland.

I started receiving news on my Facebook timeline that Dolphy has indeed passed away. Being the skeptical person that I am, it was only natural to doubt these so-called internet news. So I double checked with this news from various Philippine online news portals. Eventually it was true. The Comedy King was indeed dead at the age of 83. It saddened me a bit to see another icon bite the dust, but it was inevitable. To the family, friends, and the lives of the people touched by the Dolphy, it can't be helped to mourn for his death. Dolphy may not lived a perfect life but he became a Filipino icon. Dolphy might have died but his legacy, contribution, and legendary status will continue to live on and will never be forgotten.


All Hail The Philippine's Comedy King.

All Hail The Philippine's Comedy King Rodolfo Vera Quizon, Sr., OGH, Dolphy (July 25, 1928 – July 10, 2012)

Rodolfo "Dolphy" Vera Quizon, Sr., OGH, (July 25, 1928 – July 10, 2012)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...